Send me an email to buy A3 prints.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Datsun 240Z

I was intending to start work on an RNZAF C130H Hercules (it's their 50th anniversary this year) but the scale of the task became a little daunting so I thought I would try something for my daughter, Megan (she of The Edge's Workdays of Awesome) - a silver Datsun 240Z, probably the best looking design of all of the Z cars. It is essentially a monochromatic drawing, except that nothing is ever black and white. The chrome wheels have lots of reflections (mainly blues) but there is the odd splash of colour (eg, orange for the indicatiors) and I just didn't realise the 240Z had so many chromium strips and reflective surfaces. I'm sure I could've spray-painted an original 240Z in the time it took me to draw this. But it turned into an interesting challenge with many layers of warm & cold greys. I hope she likes it.


So, now I'll go back to the RNZAF C-130 Hercules that I've sketched up and start working on that. Because the plane is essentially white, I'll be adding a background - Rongotai & the Miramar Peninsular as they were a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment